If you’ve just installed WordPress then you’re probably looking for a way to install WordPress plugin that you need for your website. If that’s you then keep watching because in this video I’ll show you three methods that you can use to install a plugin on your site.
Fastest: Install WordPress Plugin by Plugin Dashboard
The first method is the easiest method and we will be using the WordPress plugin directory.
It sounds complicated but it’s really not.
- From your WordPress dashboard, you’ll look for the plugins area and you want to click add new.
- When you click add new it takes us to this whole area this is the WordPress plugin directory.
These are all the free plugins available that you can install on your site.
To find the one that you’re looking forward we want to search for the plugin, well do ACF For WooCommerce that’s a great additional plugin for WooCommerce that you can install.
Let’s go ahead and install it now and you have to do two things with any plugin.
You’ll want to install it but then you want to activate it which means you want to make sure that it goes live on your site and that you can utilize it.
Once you click to activate it’ll activate the plugin and each plugin will be different, for the ACF For WooCommerce, it will take me to the active page where you will active by the purchase code.
So that’s the first method and it’s by far the easiest but its also utilizing only the free plugins that are on the WordPress directory.
Slower: Install WordPress Plugin Section in Upload ZIP file
Now the next method is you’ve purchased a plugin and you’ve downloaded it from the plugin website.
You will need to upload it on your own so let’s do that next.
We want to go back over to our plugins area we can click add new again.
- Instead of doing the search plugins area we want to click on the upload plugin button.
- So well click upload and now we can choose the file and we need to search for it on our computer.
- From here you can either click Choose file or if you have it open you can left-click the zip folder and drag it and then you see it.
Once you choose the file you want to click install now and it will go through and install the plugin that you just uploaded.
Again once it’s installed you’ll be prompted to activate the plugin if you need to activate it right now
If you don’t want to activate it you can go to your installed plugins and you can see the status of them where we only have our ACF For WooCommerce activated you can tell by the blue background.
From the WP Plugin List you can activate any of them, you can also delete them, you can deactivate them if you don’t want to use that plugin anymore.
So that’s method two now method three is very similar to method two however instead of uploading it through our plugins admin area well be using an FTP client.
Slower a little more: Install WordPress Plugin by FTP
There are several FTP clients that you can choose from Ill be using FileZilla for this tutorial.
If you’re not familiar with FTP clients then you can view our FTP video on how to get started with that once you connect to your website make sure that you go into your plugins folder.
To do that I’ll show you.
- We’ll drill down into the public HTML.
- You need to go to wp-content that is where all of our themes and plugins are kept.
- Right here you see our plugins page and here are the three plugins that we have.
What you need to do is when you download your zip file from the website that you’ve purchased your plugin you’ll also need to unzip the file so that you can upload just the folder.
- So you see here I have my acf-for-woocommerce_v3.8.zip file so we need to right-click and extract all
- Browse where we want it to go
Now let’s go back to our FTP client.
- Going to right-click, refresh so you can see all of the items on the left panel, what you want to do is bring this folder and upload it over the right panel.
- You need to do is right-click, select upload, and now it will upload all of the folders into your plugins area on your website.
When it’s finished we can head back over to our plugins page and you’ll want to click refresh or just click the installed plugins again and when you do that you now see that the plugin that we just uploaded is here.
When you upload via FTP it automatically uploads but it does not activate so anything that you want to activate.
Make sure you come back over to your installed plugins area and activate the plugins that you need to.
That’s the simple way of how you can install a plugin on your WordPress website.
Video Source: Youtube